Mason Transit Authority (MTA) has been providing transportation to the general public and driven to excellence since 1992. We are proud of our track record in providing transportation alternatives to and from work, school, shopping or pleasure and to assisting residents in our community who have no other means of transportation to enjoy a level of mobility to ensure a high quality and productive life.
Vision & Mission
Our vision is to serve people through world-class transit. Our mission is to provide transportation choices that connect people, jobs, and community, increasing the quality of life in Mason County.
We believe that public transportation and personal mobility are essential to the economic vitality, environmental stability and quality of life in Mason County. Our core values guide our actions each day.
- Service Excellence: We go beyond the expectations of our customers and provide inspirational leadership to deliver safe, comfortable and reliable service; we see today’s best service as our motivation to make tomorrow’s even better.
- Safety: We provide and enforce a safe and secure environment for our customers, community and teammates through awareness, consistent training, and allocation of resources.
- Professionalism: We conduct our work transactions with integrity, fiscal responsibility and transparency. We engage the community in our decision making by sharing information and encouraging public involvement.
- Teamwork: We achieve our greatest success as a team. We embrace diversity, support each other and treat each other with respect, and use meaningful communication.
- Partnership: We explore and build collaborative and healthy alliances to promote and advance our mission.
- Innovation: We constantly explore ways to improve. We celebrate inspiration, creativity, initiative and courage in all things to promote a world-class customer service experience.
Mason Transit Authority (MTA) is a nationally recognized small rural public transit system with diverse services that provide our communities with world-class transit. In addition to serving the Mason County community for 23 years, MTA connects with four area transit systems. Our regional connections provide access to Grays Harbor Transit, Intercity Transit, Jefferson Transit, Kitsap Transit, Squaxin Island Transit, and Sound Transit, which in turn provides connections to the ferries, Amtrak, and Greyhound service. You can go anywhere from here!!
Funding & revenue is provided to Mason Transit Authority as a public transportation benefit area through local sales tax (6/10 %), transit fares, federal and state grants, as well as contracts for services. Transit leadership is provided by the Mason Transit Authority Board, a nine-member board made up of local elected officials: three Mason County Commissioners, one City of Shelton Commissioner, and five rotating school district board members.
MTA works with our taxpayers, Mason County, the City of Shelton, local tribal nations, Peninsula Regional Transportation Planning Organization, Lewis Mason Thurston Area Agency of Aging, other social service agencies, schools, local Chambers of Commerce and Economic Development Council, as well as area employers to increase the quality of life in Mason County by meeting the transportation needs of our community.